Sunday, November 7, 2010

DJ 29

The Pastor and His Parishioner

"More misery, Hester!--Only the more misery!" answered the clergyman with a bitter smile. "As concerns the good which I may appear to do, I have no faith in it. It must needs be a delusion. What can a ruined soul like mine effect towards the redemption of other souls?--or a polluted soul towards their purification? And as for the people's reverence, would that it were turned to scorn and hatred! Canst thou deem it, Hester, a consolation that I must stand up in my pulpit, and meet so many eyes turned upward to my face, as if the light of heaven were beaming from it!--must see my flock hungry for the truth, and listening to my words as if a tongue of Pentecost were speaking!--and then look inward, and discern the black reality of what they idolise? I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am! And Satan laughs at it!"

Alright so Dimmesdale is loosing it. This is the first time he is able to speak openly about his feelings though, so some stress is relieved here. What he's saying is how is he supposed to tell others what is right and what is wrong when he has committed such sin without any kind legal, ritual and just punnishment? He just wants to be seen for what he truly is. He doesn't want to hurt anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment