Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Practice Essay Question

The story, and character, that I will be analyzing is my own. Since the day my sister left my father and I, I have felt I have been in exile from my true home. It tears me apart, and builds me up more and more every day. It truly is "strangely compelling to think about but terrible to experience."

Let me fill you in. When I was 4 or 5, my mom and dad split up. The 'big fight' took place in my living room that also doubled as my room. I watched the whole thing go down from start to finish. Being 4 or 5, I didn't really know what was going on, so I don't think of that very much. What really hurt me was when my sister left. She basically mothered me. When she took off I was probably 7 or 8, and the 'big fight' took place in the living room, still doubling as my own room. That is the 'terrible experience.' Reliving the drama between my mother and father through my sister, who, like I stated earlier, was basically my real mother. Exile, to me, is a word used to describe the state of one who is left with no possessions, no home and no loving family. I feel that my father and I live in an eternal exile, but that's starting to become besides the point.

My experience with exile is more alienating than enriching. Not to say there aren't any supplements to it, but really living in exile...kinda blows. I've heard what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, and I believe that's true. I think that the world has gone somewhat soft, and that it is easier to be 'spoiled' even without realizing it. One thing you get from having nothing is an unsurpassed sense of priorities, life-goals and the ability to not take things for granted. You tend to want to earn, rather than to take. That is the most enriching part of being exiled. Now instead of asking for money from your parents to go to the movie, you get a job, buy a camera, and make a movie.

Really, as long as you have an optimistic view about things, and know to follow your heart, even if it might hurt for a while, you know that you can push through just about anything. I have a saying, "I've found that if you do whatever you want without worrying about the consequences, everything will work out just fine." Now you may look at this and think differently, but I'm sure, if you really know what this means, you will think it too. I'm sure you already think it, you just don't know it yet. To me, this quote means if you do follow your heart, and disregard all the put-downs, obstacles, and dilemmas, you can achieve whatever it is, that you truly want in life. And if that isn't the meaning of 'work as a whole', then I don't know what is.

1 comment:

  1. Danny:

    This is well written and well thought out, but not the right question. On an AP test you would have received a -- .

    ReplyDelete